Monday, December 17, 2012

Sweet Potato Chili - Yummy Goodness

I found this recipe via Pinterest, which is every girls best friend.  It was created by Andie Mitchell, and is posted in her blog, Can you stay for dinner.  Generally when I am pinning foodie items I am fully intending on testing the recipe out in the future. What better time to test a chili recipe than when it's in the 30's and 40's, and in Houston that is Arctic Tundra weather.
I selected several soup, stew, chili recipes and let my husband decide on which one he wanted to have, as soon as he read the ingredients for the Slow Cooked Sweet Potato Chili he knew it was "the one."  Boy was he right!
I have recently been on a sweet potato kick, and I don't mean the usual sweet potato casserole stuff with the cinnamon and sugar and marshmallows; which I am actually not a fan of. No, I mean roasted balsamic sweet potatoes, whipped cream cheese mashed sweet potatoes, sweet potato fries, so it was only a matter of time before I made a stew with it...honestly!
Anyways... This chili was absolutely amazing! Thick and hearty, it really warms you to the core as well. I have my own chili recipe that is always a hit yet you can eat a couple of bowls before you are completely stuffed, but with this chili one bowl was PLENTY! It is stocked with black and kidney beans, diced and crushed tomatoes, garlic, onion and of course sweet potato. There is a little extra sweetness with brown sugar, then kick it up with some spices; cumin, chili powder, paprika and a little salt and pepper to taste.  The best part of this recipe is that you throw it all together in the crock pot set it on low for 10 hours and go, and by the time your home from work dinner is waiting for you, painless and delicious.
When I try out new recipes I like to follow it verbatim the first time then go in and tweak it to make it my own in the future. Although this was a huge hit in our house, next time we plan to add more vegetables to it, jalapeno, bell pepper and corn.  Needless to say we are looking forward to more "chili" winter nights...see what I did there ;)
Follow the link below to get the full recipe and directions.  This is a definite contender for dinner!
Can you stay for dinner? - Sweet Potato Chili

No comments:

Post a Comment